Labels

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Labor Day Brush Fire

Like everyone else, I love burning things. Just me?  OK.  There's been this big brush pile sitting at Grandma's, doing nothing but growing bigger.  Like the good granddaughter I am, I decided we needed to burn it.  It needed to be done anyway, why not on Labor Day weekend?  We made sure we took every measure of precaution and had water and water hose at the ready.  Now, my idea of a brush bonfire was light up the pile and just watching it burn.  Apparently, my family had other ideas!  True, they were tasks that needed to be done anyway, but Hubby and I just weren't fully prepared for what all this fire entailed.  It started by clearing out an entire fence line and then some of brush that had been running wild for about 5 years.  As you can see in the second picture, the garden fence line was almost like its own little jungle, with all sorts of trees and vines growing out of it.  In the picture of my dad riding the lawnmower, you can see quite the difference!  All in all, it was a fun experience.  One I would gladly repeat, though maybe when the weather is a little cooler.  Monday was mild weather, but that fire just added too much heat!  It was a good time spent with family.  Good fun, good convo, and what would a bonfire be without good food?  We had grilled bratwurst, burgers, and refreshing watermelon and a delicious chocolate dessert!  It was a lot of work, but fun was had by all.  Especially when it was Grandma that recommended we light the fence line on fire to clear out the brush that our shears, chainsaws and electric saws didn't get.

{Got my boots; got my hat; got my gloves.  This girl is ready for a fire!}
{Can you believe it, I got to be the fire starter!!}

 {When the fire gets too low, don't waste your breath or a paper plate when trying to start it back up.  Grab a leaf blower instead.  It's much more efficient!}



No comments:

Post a Comment