Labels

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Winterscape


I'm pretty proud of every component of this table setting.  There's still more to be added, but it's coming right along.  Each piece has a story.  Well, mostly...  Really each piece was just a lot of fun to find.  I didn't know what I would be using some of them for until this display just kind of fell into place.  The stump looking candle holders have actually been used in just about every season except for Summer.  They were part of my Easter centerpiece in a tray with moss and pastel Easter eggs; they were part of the previous Fall centerpiece with the clear canisters filled with leaves and pinecones; and now they're part of this Christmas, wintry centerpiece.  This whole thing was done in probably about 5 minutes or less.  
    We had company coming over.  So naturally, we hurriedly spot cleaned the house.  (Husband said we should have company over more often because it caused us to tear through the house de-cluttering and cleaning.  Maybe when it comes time to clean house again we will invite people over before we start so that we have a little motivation to clean faster.  



This table display was just the icing on top.  Previously, I had Christmas decor that was waiting to be dispersed just flung all over the table.  Very messy.  So I whipped that stuff away, gathered the remaining things that didn't have a home, gathered up the china and poof!  Instant table decorations!  I've been told before that I have an interesting way of helping clean.  Storytime:  Back when I lived in Edmond with 3 other girls in a cute little 1910 farm looking house just a couple of blocks away from campus, there was a night when we were all cleaning to have people over.  I think we were going to be holding my recital reception there.  I had bought my first white pumpkin, or ghost pumpkin that year and loved it.  It matched everything!  The girls had been getting onto me about needing to throw it away.  It was after Thanksgiving, bordering on December, (well now that I think about it, if it was that time then it wouldn't have been for my recital.  Must have been cleaning for a Christmas party!) I wasn't quite ready to let it go.  So...I sat down, got out my painting supplies and painted a nice little snowy scene with snowmen on it.  My best friend walked by, looked at me and said "you sure have a funny way of helping clean!" I smiled at her, finished my painting, cleaned up my supplies, (that counted as cleaning, right?) and set the pumpkin back where it had been.  Voila, Fall decor turned Christmas decor!!  




This was one of those same instances.  Except we'd actually finished cleaning already before I started on this.  And the timing couldn't have been more perfect.  Just as I was setting the last plates, our friends pulled up in the driveway.  Couldn't have turned out more perfect even if I'd planned it that way!



This is our wedding china.  I got it at an antique store in Atoka, on our way to Texas.  We love it!  Perfect for Christmas.  And absolutely beautiful.



What are you all thankful for this year?  I'm thankful for a loving and supportive husband, a precious puppy, a great job with a fantastic boss and coworker, friendly clients, a roof over our heads, supportive family, new family, fun friends, old friends and new friends.  I'm thankful for coffee, breakfast, coffee, decorating, cold weather, coats, running water and indoor plumbing.  (Could you imagine using an outhouse in this kind of cold weather??)



No comments:

Post a Comment