Labels

Monday, August 5, 2013

Good Gospel Singin' and Molasses Cookies


I had a very nice, unproductive weekend.  Everyone needs one of those now and then where they just relax and enjoy the company of others without having to do anything strenuous or anything they don't want to do.  Hubby was more productive than I was though and got some good work done on his project car.  My crowning accomplishment this weekend was a couple of batches of delicious molasses cookies to take to our church's Gospel Singing fellowship Sunday evening.
    Sunday was a really good day.  We ended up having a lazy morning where I made banana walnut pancakes for breakfast, then lounged around the house and played with Puppy until we headed out to Grandma's house for Sunday dinner. (We call it Sunday dinner, even though it's at lunchtime because once you have lunch at Grandma's then you won't even need to eat dinner.  It's that much good, filling food!)  We had two types of lasagna; Chicken and ground beef, garlic bread and green beans.  Raspberry streusel or raw apple cake with ice cream for dessert.  I checked of my little row of corn that got planted back in June I believe and I found that they'd started growing their first little tufty ears of corn!  I wish I'd planted more, but I was having a bout of craziness and only planted one row.  I had been running out of light on planting day anyway.
    Sunday evening, we loaded up my 50 molasses cookies (well really 47 because I'd taken a few out to save for Mama and Dad) and headed to church for a joint singing with the choir from Collinsville First Baptist.  We took turns singing pieces, and joint pieces and congregational singing.  It's amazing that so many people can come together all for the common purpose of praising our amazing God.  Afterwards, there was a homemade ice cream and cookie social.  I might have eaten a few too many cookies, and probably didn't really need that second bowl of ice cream... but the socializing was good!  That is one thing that I love about Olivet Baptist.  Everyone is friendly and loves God and so generous. I believe 17 gallons of homemade ice cream accumitively were brought by several different people (my Grandma included) and dozens of cookies were brought.  It was a good fellowshipping time had by all.


MOLASSES COOKIES (Made in the food processor!)
(This recipe makes approx. 2 1/2 dozen 2 in. cookies.)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar (I use Splenda)
1 egg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 cup all purpose flour

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
*Place knife blade in bowl.  Combine molasses, oil, sugar, egg, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and baking soda in bowl and pulse until mixed.  (In btween some of the mixing, I would run a rubber spatula along the bottom edge of the bowl to make sure all of the molasses was mixed in.)
*Incorporate 2 cups of flour a spoonful at a time.  Mix until just incorporated, but make sure there are no pockets of flour hiding in the dough.
*Place by spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet and cook for 10-11 minutes.  (I found that 10 minutes was the perfect time for my oven.)

                                                                                            




No comments:

Post a Comment